Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The making of "Bulldog and Hydrant", by Marshall Svendsen [Part - III]





The making of "Bulldog and Hydrant" [Part-III]..
by Marshall Svendsen..
I have met with Marshall a few times, but as far as documenting the making of this sculpture is concerned, today [Jan 25, 2011] was my third visit..
I have put images from my earlier visits..
# Jan 16, 2011..Making of "Bulldog and Hydrant" [Part-II] ..
# Dec 30, 2010.. Making of "Bulldog and Hydrant" [Part-I]..

In today's visit I saw the process of patina of the bronze sculpture..
When cast in bronze, the sculpture looks golden in color. Patina is the surface color of bronze. It can be natural or man-made. Here we are talking about the man-made patina, as a result of reaction of copper with chemicals.. In the case of this sculpture, I saw Marshall use two types of chemicals. He began with Liver of Sulfur and later used Ferric Nitrate.. These chemicals were sprayed on the sculptural piece and then the piece was torch-heated, for the chemical reaction to expedite.. The process was repeated over and over again..to get the desired result..


When I arrived, the sculpture was on the table. Before any work could begin, it was essential that the sculptural piece be put at a spot where the patina process could be carried out.. So it was lifted and placed on the floor..






Soap rinsing of the sculpture..


Preparing the chemical spray [Liver of Sulfur]..


Spraying chemicals. Initially the chemical concentration is low, to see the changes..




The chemical reaction is expedited by heating the sculpture..


More chemical and more heating.. The process of spraying chemicals and heating is repeated over and over again, till the desired colors are achieved.. Notice the fumes coming out..Also notice, the work suit is taken off by now.. as the sculptor is heated up too.. Not it's simple jeans and T-shirt..




The sculpture is rinsed many times, after torch-heating, to see the true colors..


The sculpture is also scrubbed a number of times for the highlights, and color variations....


By this time, the color of the sculpture has changed significantly..
Marshall was not yet satisfied, and he needed to carry on the work and I had to leave, to avoid the rush hour traffic..
I hope to see the installation of this piece..
Marshall, I cannot Thank You enough, for the privilege of allowing me to document the process and share it with others, through my blog..

No comments: